Position Title: Library IT Support Specialist
Terms: This is permanent, part-time position. The IT Support Specialist will typically work eighteen to twenty hours a week. The position will be included under the collective bargaining agreement between the Town and the Seekonk Library Staff Association, AFT-Mass.
Starting Hourly Rate: $33.15 with three increases to follow in annual steps
Job Summary: Under the supervision of the Library Director, the Library IT Support Specialist is responsible for maintaining the infrastructure of hardware and software that supports the library’s automated services and communication systems including its connections to the SAILS network, the internet, the MUNIS accounting system, telephone service, library vendors, library databases, building management systems, and the video security network. The IT Support Specialist is responsible for keeping the library staff aware of new technologies and for helping staff plan ways to meet the future technology needs of library users. The IT Support Specialist may be required to perform occasionally other duties outside their assigned areas when necessary to maintain the effective operation of the library.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities:
● Installs and updates network and client software for antivirus and malware protection, client and user management, data backup and system restores, and public printer management
● Tests, diagnoses and reports on network connectivity issues
● Develops and implements schedules for maintaining and replacing library hardware and software
● Sets-up and configures all library equipment for use on the library’s networks
● Installs and updates operating systems on individual electronic devices, including servers, desktop PCs, laptops, tablets, telephones, and laser and 3D printers
● Insures that the library has all required software licenses
● Recommends and orders IT services and equipment
● Communicates regularly with vendors and maintains service agreements as required
● Performs or assists outside vendors with equipment repairs
● Provides training and technical support for both staff and the public
● Collects relevant data needed to evaluate current services and equipment needs
● Recommends to the Library Director an annual budget for IT expenditures
● Monitors and reports on expenditures from the annual IT budget
● Negotiates and manages maintenance and service agreement with outside vendors
● Proposes strategies to modify and improve library information technology services
● Prepares applications to vendors for discounts and rebates, e.g. the Universal Service Fund
● Maintains an inventory of all library-owned hardware connected to the network
● Oversees the disposal of surplus IT equipment
● Serves as the library’s liaison to the technical support staff at the SAILS library network
Minimum Qualifications: A successful candidate for Library IT Support Specialist must demonstrate a sophisticated knowledge of computer networking structure, internet protocols, and computer network operations as might be obtained with a degree in computer, information, or library sciences or through training resulting in professional certification in a relevant area. Candidate must have experience as the primary person responsible for managing a network for a public library or similar institution that connects a variety of devices using multiple operating systems, such as Windows, iOS, and Android, through both wired Ethernet and wireless LANs to multiple WANs and the internet.
Skills and Abilities Required: Library IT Support Specialist must have the ability to effectively operate and maintain Windows servers, and have a working knowledge of the role and function of networking equipment including firewalls, switches, and routers. A candidate must have recent and relevant experience installing network software, configuring network client hardware, and troubleshooting networking connectivity issues in a multi-LAN environment. IT Support Specialist must demonstrate a basic understanding of public library operations and have a functional knowledge of automated library systems. Candidate must be familiar with information technologies and electronic services commonly used by library clientele. A detailed knowledge of library software products offered by EnvisionWare, Faronics, and SIRSI-Dynix is highly desirable. A candidate must show a strong commitment to providing user support to both library employees and customers. IT Support Specialist must have an ability to present and explain clearly complex IT technology and technical concepts to non-specialists. IT Support Specialist must show an ability to work independently without direct supervision and have the ability to take the initiative in solving problems in their assigned area. Library IT Support Specialist must be able to exercise sound judgement, and interpret, explain and apply library and SAILS network policies.
Closing dates: Applications must be received before 4:00 PM on Thursday, October 6, 2016.
To Apply: Please submit a resume and a letter stating your qualifications addressed to Peter Fuller c/o Office of Town Administrator, 100 Peck Street, Seekonk, MA 02771 or email copies of these documents to SPL-jobs @seekonkpl.org.