You can now pay library fines and fees with a credit or debit card with a new service offered by the SAILS network called SmartPay. Library users have been asking for this convenient method of payment for several years. After several months of study and field testing, SmartPay has proven to be easy to use, secure and confidential. You can pay your fines and fees from wherever you can access the internet. All you need is a credit card, library card number and pin number. A link to the service can be found both on our website and the SAILS network catalog.
Here is some additional information about SmartPay.
- Smart Pay transactions are secure. SmartPay complies with Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCI-DSS), and your transactions are protected by SSL certification, a protocol for transmitting data securely.
- Your information is kept confidential. SAILS Library network and participating public Libraries do not collect or store any personal information or credit or debit card processing data collected from the SmartPay site.
- SmartPay requires a minimum $2 payment which can consist of multiple fines. There is a 45 cent credit card processing fee per transaction not per individual fine paid.
- Library fines and fees are cleared automatically from your library account during the payment process.
- A failed transaction may leave a pending charge on your account. These “pre-authorized” amounts normally clear within 24 hours
- When you select SmartPay you are leaving the library website and have been directed to SmartPay, an online resource to pay library fines and fees. Technical requirements and services are the sole responsibility of SmartPay.
- The service is being offered through the SAILS library network. When using SmartPay, you agree to accept and assume all risks and responsibilities for the losses and damages that may arise from your use of SmartPay and release the SAILS Library Network and its member libraries from all liability.
- This is strictly self-service. Under the terms of our agreement with SAILS, library staff members are not allowed to handle credit cards. We will be happy to answer questions and guide you through the process.
- You can only pay fines accrued at libraries using the system. As of today these libraries are Lakeville, Middleboro, Norfolk, Norton, Seekonk and Wrentham. Dartmouth, Halifax, Marion, and Plainville will be starting soon.